PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Maximum Flaps Extended Altitude
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2013, 08:24
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The list of posters here who are completely failing to answer the question is staggering. Let me do 'a Clandestino'?

Originally Posted by exeng
20.000 ft limitation
- in terms of the wording, there is no '20000ft limitation'.
Originally Posted by de facto
particularly on maneuvring issues.
- tell us what these are.
Originally Posted by FlyingStone
it's the flaps extended,
- your test results showing this?
Originally Posted by aterpster
Once again proof there are stupid questions.
- waste of server space!
Originally Posted by busserday
You may want to share the http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/51113...ransports.html thread with your instructor. And I would confirm the wording is the Boeing approved version regarding flap extension above 20k.
- your link has no reference to flaps. As far as I know there is no 'instructor' involved in this query. We know the wording. The meaning was what the question was about!
Originally Posted by SMOC
How did he come up with the fact you can make it above 20, 000' as you stated the FMC doesn't account for flap extended like it doesn't account for gear extended, FCOM 2 would have no perf figures for flap above 20, 000'. You can't assume Fuel flow and ground speed would be better.
What will happen when suddenly you hit the sweet spot and flutter rips your asymmetric flap off or your outboard aileron etc.
- no-one is saying you can, but the question was 'is it ok to try'? I take it you would have no 'flutter' worries at 19,999'? 737 does not have an 'outboard aileron'.
Originally Posted by b44
Quite simple, if the flap limit is 20,000 ft, don't exceed it.
- which flap limit is that?

BtS - I think you will have to give up here since no-one actually knows the answer. You could try Boeing, but since there have been no (official) tests above 20k involving flaps as far as I know they would probably say no. Your choice would be try it, succeed and get a 'chocolate nose' award from company, or possibly write off the a/c.

Mach number and its effect on flaps will be your problem. Personally, unless things were desperate, I would, like JammedStab, try to persuade company to let me spend a few days at a 'choice' diversion with decent facilities.