PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 28th Mar 2013, 20:58
Ticked all the boxes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how do the current coastguard crews plan to become Nvg trained and experienced? I am sure some of the ex mil pilots will dust off the rust pretty quickly but even some of them may not have used Nvg before. It is a hugely demanding and different skill set in the SAR world. I fully understand the TUPE rules that are in play but will it be sensible to suddenly have crews with very limited nvg experience suddenly together on shift? Perhaps a safer bet would be to have a mixture of the managed transition crews in and amongst the current civilian crews.
I have the upmost respect for the coastguard crews. My point is merely a safety question as it takes a long time to become comfortable on nvgs and there may well be quite a few current sar captains without any Nvg time.
Personally I think it is very sad to be losing military sar. But I also see it as a great opportunity to mix strengths and overcome weaknesses that exist across all 3 current sar providers. If the right people are recruited then there will be a potent mix of experience and skill across the new sar flights around the uk. Hopefully that should provide two things; a great atmosphere to work in and a first class service to the public.
As long as the mil guys accept it is a new way of doing things and leave their attitude of 'we used to do it like this which was the best way' behind then I am sure we will all get on great!