PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2013, 19:59
CheekyVisual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as it pains me to say anything positive about the Irish I have to just put right a few misunderstandings about the current european aviation environment. Someone mentioned that Vueling were a bigger brand in Spain than Ryanair and that there is a massive market in untapped Spanish tourists. Sorry not true. How do I know. I actually work there (on and off).

Ryanair have as many aircraft based in Spain as Vueling and probably operate twice the number of routes if you count the non spanish based aircraft coming in and out of Spain on a daily basis. Plus if you haven't noticed Spain hasn't got any money.

The other thing that people don't seem to understand and I include several BBC air transport commentators in this is that Ryanair do not rely on the Leisure market to make their money (not that they make any flying pax but that's another story). Ryanair's main market in southern europe isn't northen europeans sunning themselves but the 50% of the youth of southern europe that can't find a job there but can in northern europe. They are the commuter airline of choice for the Spanish, Italian and Portuguese "strivers" as David Cameron would call them. Those, to quote another tory, who have got on their 737 and found a job elsewhere in europe. The only Spanish travelling in any numbers are those travelling for economic reasons and Ryanair is their airline of choice. I've seen it ! I've operated those flights. There is no great Spanish tourism to northern europe there never has been no matter how good Vuellings brand is in Spain they aren't just waiting for the opportunity to desert the costas for the Gavin and Stacey tour ! There aren't any jobs for them in South Wales that's why they aren't coming in numbers.

I know you're just sticking up for the airline that's giving CWL a go. And good luck to them and CWL. But to suggest that they are even close to being the force FR or EZY are (even in Spain) is not true. Sorry. That isn't to say that FR won't be interested in CWL. If the WA cut APD MOL would be there in minutes to show his "support" to those increasing his profits, sorry lowering fares for ordinary travellers.