PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2013, 11:02
Frostchamber

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not so long ago the suggestion that the entire RAF FJ fleet would comprise 6 sqns would have prompted a fair bit of arm waving. Yet with the OSD of Tornado now 2019 that is precisely what the RAF is slated to have, including what will still at that point be at best a limited IOC for the single F35 sqn. I guess the judgement is that that will permit QRA plus deployment of a small number overseas if required, but to say its bare bones seems a bit of an understatement.

In these circs my guess was that the rumour of retaining at least some T1s would make some sense, since even if used mainly in the in the air to air role it would permit an extra sqn or so to be stood up and relieve a bit of the pressure. I suspect structural issues would make it impractical to bring them up to full T3 standard but upgrades such as those currently under way ought to mean they could do a job?

I also struggle with the idea that the T1s have already been flogged to death after such a short time in service, but happy to defer to those better placed to judge.