PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airfix 2013 calendar, desktop downloads.
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2013, 01:39
54Phan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ahh, Airfix!

Oh yes, the joys of plastic modelling! Buying the Airfix Halifax with some money I had won at a public speaking competition, washing cars, cutting lawns, shoveling snow, then taking my earnings uptown on Saturday afternoon, (walking, to save bus fare ), bringing my treasure home, putting it together and impatiently waiting an hour for the glue to dry before its First Flight. I built them with the undercarriage up, to make operations easier. Mine tended to survive, although I had a few friends who would blow theirs up. I remember being gobsmacked when I first saw "633 Squadron", that stirring music, those heroic feats and, of course, those beautiful Mosquitoes! (I also remember this particular 9 year old having an unfamiliar sensation when that uncredited blonde Gestapo officer snapped "Take off his clothes!" and then reached over and tore open George Chakiris' shirt.) To cut this ramble short, I am still building 49 years later, and I too have to thank Airfix for feeding my addiction. I was thrilled to bits when Airfix released their big Mossie.