PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristows to take over SAR from 2015
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2013, 23:43
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Bismark,
A vertrep is indeed similar to a deck/Sit, but in many ways simpler. So I concur an element of 'on the job' trg is covered.

Just a thought re RAF 'inefficiency'. The RN has managed to conduct its ME phase on the SK as a savings measure due to the relative costs; the cost of continuing this on the Merlin may be eye-watering. Some RN aviators destined for Merlin already do 60 Sqn to enhance crew co-operation and to defer costs from the Merlin, so I think it's likely that much of your 'efficiency' will disappear in a larger Merlin fleet.

The AAC efficient? Why, just replicate Shawbury at MW and toss in the AH OCU (which could easily be at Wattisham...) to justify keeping the spiritual home open. Can't blame them, we all do it, but it's hardly efficient is it? Nor is giving someone a pilots course and letting them stop flying after 3 years for 'career' reasons.

Nobody's perfect; I think having a central 'schoolhouse' with some retained SAR expertise (from both RAF and RN) is a good idea. Perhaps when all RN pliots go through 60 Sqn we'll be there?