PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2013, 20:40
vfr440

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skeeter G-SARO

That's my girl! . Total rebuild (DESPITE CAA's input, Mr Herman, since you ask) in 1976, Blackpool. Since it was only to be a permit we did it my way . I took 39lbs of redundant wiring out of her, put a motor-bike battery in the old HUGE battery case, and replaced the counterbalance weights on the t'boom with balsa wood........

I also used a Chadwick to calibrate a chart for her and remove all traces of stick-stir, and scrubbed round the 25hr greasing of the M/R head (which only finished off the friction dampers up there, anyway!).

Flew all over the place until its owner unfortunately went to the big-bar-in-the-sky a few years ago. And then, due uninspectable internal corrosion problems to MRB steel spars, the type was grounded.

Sad but a fact of life,I think she maybe either at Weston s'mare or at Middle Wallop.

Some machine though, flew like a ding-bat; not bad for a 1954 build aircraft (just left a slick of W80 across UK from an un-fixable leak at the primary g'box - like all Skeeters did)

RIP old lady, you did me proud. I have a cherished photo of you airborne over the Black Isle - VFR