PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2013, 20:04
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the Belles amongst us, here are some pics of the '47s of Trent Air Services at Cranfield in March 1986. My logbook tells me they were G-AZMB and G-BMDV. They were terrific leaning tools (I'd come right off RN Gazelles and was actually impressed with the 47 - or rather what it demanded of me...)

They were maintained by Autair Luton iirc who must have spent an inordinate amount of time on the M1 coming out to us to remove, dry and replace flooded plugs - the '47 were more than we studes could manage to start in such cold. Training was erratic, uncoordinated and very wasteful of time. The GFTs with CAAFU examiners such as Capt Don Sissins and Charles Waldren even more idiosyncratic (one demanded a run on during an auto despite 30Kt winds making a zero-zero the only practical method if you were going to flare at all - i got a partial because of this, my oppo, suitably briefed, landed engine out from 60MPH (way above standard auto speed) with no flare whatsoever to ensure a run-on while his instructor watched holding his head in his hands - an insanely unconventional technique, and was passed!
I declared a diversion from track during my GFT NAVEX due to a snowstorm ahead which I knew would blanket the bubble with packed snow but Capt Sissins said No! carry on into it, it won't happen. Sure enough we became blinded due snow on the bubble and ended up scrambling ignominiusly out of the shower on "instruments" despite trying to "kick" the snow off the bubble - - to regain vmc. I passed, but got no credit for recognising that rather scary scenrio.

CAAFU examiners didn't seem too current, predictable or standardised in those days.

Last edited by Agaricus bisporus; 28th Mar 2013 at 00:51.