PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting CASA PPL to FAA PPL. How long did it take you?
Old 27th Mar 2013, 19:20
Gomrath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I hold an Australian CPL. I have come late to this thread, but can anyone tell me if obtaining the FAA certificate 61.75 is a temporary licence, or is it just one step in the right direction towards the licence required to fly in the U.S.?
The nominated FSDO is where you book an appointment to turn up with all your paperwork to show proof.

A 61.75 certificate is issued on the basis of a foreign ICAO compliant license. It is valid for as long as the underlying foreign license is valid along with the foreign medical cert.
You may hold a foreign CPL - but you will only get a FAA 61.75 with Private privileges.
Having got a 61.75 - you then have to 'activate it' by completing a 'Flight Review' per the regs. This involves a check ride and a Ground review each must be a minimum of 1 hour but typically longer. The ground portion involves knowledge of the FAA regulations etc
You have to undergo the 'Flight Review' every 24 months.

If you want a full FAA unrestricted Commercial - you need to go through the process to get one.