PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristows to take over SAR from 2015
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2013, 18:40
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Bismark,
I fully understand, and support, the need for FAA crews to practise SAR for the plane guard role on the CVS and for 'man overboard' on smaller vessels.

However, it is trite to suggest that SARTU should stop teaching basic SAR techniques to RAF SH crews. 84 Sqn may run contractor maintained aircraft, but the crews are all RAF. The FI solution may well be a front line type (Chinook or Puma) used for a joint SH/SAR role. Finally, let's not forget that EVERY RW pilot is a potential lifesaver....some basic understanding of Sits and winching should remian mandatory for all RW operators (though, regrettably I hear the SARTU syllabus has already been thinned down somewhat).

I've never been SAR but have dabbled with it from time to time. I can say with certainty that I took a lot from my B412/Sea King sorties and applied some of the techniques and methods to my SH flying. BTW I've also launched under a 'Rescue' c/s in the FI in a CH47 and very nearly conducted a long range SAR sortie to winch an injured sailor of a boat in the SOuth Atlantic - I can tell you I was greatful for both my SARTU training and the presence of a real SARBoy whilst planning it.

As for SAR-H...err...the new contract, well, good luck to all concerned. I hear glowing reports re the S92 and the AW139 looks good too. Like many, my concern is replacing the initial cadre. I don't share some peoples' optimism - other organisations such as DHFS have struggled once the first wave start retiring. Add in the laydown of the new flights (not an especially good match for the existing flights....) then future recruitment may require higher incentives. Time will tell.