PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2013, 15:38
Tinribs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wot fly on 1 engine...... me

All the above comments are so true but need a bit of filling up.

The canberra rudder system involved a large spring which acted to give a seeming feel against airspeed. The spring consisted of a tube which could twist a bit. To shorten the tube it was folded inside itself to create a telescope effect although it was one piece. When it got a bit tired you could push the pedal but all you did was compress the spring not move the rudder. Rudder/fin stalling at high angles and low airspeed could occur especially if yawing/rolling created a localised airflow disturbance. I lost one big time on an airtest with pete somerfield in the back, being ham fisted really. I was the maint TP at the 23mu, aldergrove, and we tried hard to make sure the thing was within limits, mostly it worked.

The official line was always "if you fly it correctly you will be ok", people didn't and about a crew a year died for twenty years. In the end a new drill was agreed which involved fly at safety speed to decision point then close the live throttle and put the flap down. It worked and the chop rate pretty much stopped except for the odd few. Last one I think was Paddy Thompson, Mr Canberra, at Cyprus right at the end, I could be wrong cos it was a long time ago.

The rule was once decision made aircraft must be landed preferably on the runway if possible with the gear down. I had the problem on a roller landi ng at Leconfield and my instructors voice fron Cottesmore, Clive Hall. great bloke, came back to me.... "land the B........" 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

The 9 was different having hydraulic controls. I flew them on39SQN and later the SC 9 XH132 at RAE bedford. Always treated it with great respect not fear. We got airborne with 85%, about half thrust, then accelerated to 200 ish then climb power, went like an angel

Last edited by Tinribs; 27th Mar 2013 at 15:39.