PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristows to take over SAR from 2015
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2013, 14:59
Al-bert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprised - no!

As an ex SAR pilot (21 Years) I am just surprised that it took so long to come to this. Over that time the RAF shrank almost year on year and the SAR force became just another career step for many people and huge amounts of cash were wasted in building HQ’s and empires with consequent jobs for senior officers. When I joined SAR (from SH) in 1978 the RAF had nine SAR Flights, divided between two Squadrons, each Sqn commanded by a Squadron Leader and the whole shebang run from a green shed by a Wing Commander based at RAF Finningley. When I left in 1999 we were down to six flights, each one commanded by a Sqn Ldr; the Squadrons were commanded (fom their new HQ’s) by a Wing Commander (with a Sqn Ldr deputy) and the whole ‘force’ had a Group Captain in command (with another Wg Cdr and Sqn Ldr or two to keep him company). Part of the reason for the ‘up-grade’ was to keep RAF St Mawgan open so that there was a job for an Air Vice Marshall!
I nearly went to work for Bristow in ’86 but instead stayed in the RAF and went to Sea Kings. I’m just a tad surprised that it’s taken so long to fall apart. Good luck to the ‘new’ boys and girls, they have a great machine to play with. I wish I was twenty years younger, my CV would already be there at Bristows!