PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2013, 10:01
TURIN

Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Confusion?

Quote:
Apparently most of these events were due to excessive discharge while on a ground. When an LI battery is discharged below its minimum level it should not be recharged up to normal levels again so it is replaced. I am not an expert on this but some smart people earlier in this thread explained this. This is not a safty issue.

I don't believe this. Every LI battery has protection against such possibilities because of the well known danger. A $16k battery in a critical safety situation with a revolutionary over/under charging system failed in its most basic task?
What I think is happening here is the battery is designed to be allowed to discharge below it's minimum recharge value. This gives the a/c an extra few minutes of emergency power when required. The operator sacrifices the battery to ensure the whole a/c survives.

Where things have gone wrong (re: 150 batteries changed in service) is the operators have not really ensured that the people at the sharp end are thoroughly briefed as to the consequences of EG. Leaving the towing switch on.

The charging is not the issue (for the 150 battery swaps).