PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Ambulance in UK
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2013, 07:31
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
The charity was offered land for free within 1 mile of Treliske hospital. This would have saved the repositioning back and forward to Newquay which must be about .4 hours every time.
The head of the charity wanted to be at Newquay as there was an ILS there, thats fine but there isnt an ILS at Treliske so if you need to get to Newquay IFR then you aint going to get the patient to the hospital.
I dont have a problem with air ambulances but they are starting to go down the line of the primary first reponse to any call out. Lets remember it is about the " golden hour" we seem to be going down the avenue of having ever more sophisticated and expensive bits of kit going out to pick people up who's lives are not in danger.
As for having 2 helicopters in one place, why not do as Devon has done, have 2 one in the North one in the South. yes I know in Cornwall it would be East and West In fact it would be more efficient for the Eaglescott based Devon one to cover East Cornwall as well as N Devon,
In fact if we will have 4 helicopters covering less than 2 million people not a bad ratio, perhaps I should shut up as I live in the area so my chances of a free ride when i come off my mountain bike will be better than anywhere else in the country