PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High altitude stall characteristics of jet transports
Old 26th Mar 2013, 23:37
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hikoushi
What prevents the sim programmers from modeling at least part of the stall characteristics of the Airbus off of the AF447 FDR data?
Current sim behaviour is modelled from extrapolations of the data captured during the initial flight tests of the type as well as theoretical data based on the aerodynamic properties of the airframe. It may not be 100% precise, but based on the simulated data presented by the BEA in the report versus the DFDR data from AF447, it's very close.

I think the article the OP refers to takes a few quotes and derives conclusions that are inaccurate - for example:

The lack of accurate stall data limits entry and recovery practice because the computers running the simulators have no idea how the aircraft will actually perform.
The computers actually have a very good idea of how the aircraft will perform (as I said above) - it's just that the data used is based on extrapolation and theory rather than physical testing (and yet it's very close). I was fortunate enough to sit in on experiments in a Level D sim and the behaviour seemed very convincing.