PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2013, 20:23
Aerials

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 Squadron at Sharjah as an Air Communications Mechanic, October 1969 to November 1970. Sadly I have no photographs and I now realise how sketchy my memory is of the area! What a change over the years. I do remember many things about life in general while I was there.

Friendlypelican 2 - thank you for putting up the photo in your post #456. That made my day! That's exactly as I remember the place and I do believe that chap examining the propeller blade is nicknamed Twig or Twiggy.

Sisemen's first picture at post #465 also brought back memories, thank you too. I'm so glad I never had to work in the hangar except once or twice, only briefly. It was a cooker! The second picture in that post has me a bit disorientated. Was that hangar in the background 78s? If it was, we didn't usually park the Andover aircraft in that direction. Beyond the Argosy when I was there, would've been 8 Squadron (Hunters) or the Shackleton Detachment.

Reflecting while writing this, it was a wonderful posting made very tolerable by the folk I worked and lived with. Oh! And Pop's tea that he used to bring round the billets (nobody seems to use that word any more) in a big can with a burner underneath.