PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristows to take over SAR from 2015
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2013, 14:32
Ivan Rogov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We all knew SAR was going out to contract and the SK was bowing out after sterling service.

I have the greatest respect for all the SAR operators civil, RN and RAF but the current system does look tired and out of date (which makes what they do look even more impressive!). I cannot see a reason to justify mil SAR in the UK, ISTR a serviceman cost £100,000 per year (or something like that) and our organisation has huge inertia, lack of ownership, an unhealthy make do attitude (that for some reason is short sighted seen as a quality) and other distractions like shrinking budgets and wars.

I'm sure similar fears of lack of cover and capability have been raised every time a new SAR type came in to service or a basing decisions was made. TBH this contract seems sensible, bases optimised (not just where we have a mil airfield), modern platforms and a known fixed cost. Although I did read that CHC thought it was too low? U.K. SAR Helo Program Down To Two Bidders

Out of interest did the Mil SAR guys have any mil tasking? If so what will happen to that or are we going on another 'holiday'?

Does this contract have any link to SAR-H or did that die? Wasn't there talk of mixed civil/mil crews and some non 24hr bases and a cost of £6Bn?

If you had a blank sheet of paper for SAR cover what would you do differently?

Last edited by Ivan Rogov; 27th Mar 2013 at 20:06.