PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Filming in the cabin
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2013, 12:03
washingtondave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCA, like yourself I am a big fan of the many cockpit videos you can see on YouTube. Unlike you, I am at the other end of the age spectrum, but I have never lost my enthusiasm for flying.

I'm afraid 9/11 put paid to flight deck visits and jump seat rides. Prior to that I had managed a few flight deck visits in the cruise phase, but never succeeded in getting a full jump seat ride, although I came close once, having gained approval through asking the cabin crew on a BAE 146 flight from Florence to Stansted, only to be thwarted by the aisle being blocked by the trolley on a full to capacity aircraft. C'est la vie.

Some of the videos are very professionally done, offering a chance to observe flight procedures clearly, especially with the modern glass cockpit. I also enjoy the magnificent views, even clouds can create dramatic scenes. A series often featuring approaches to Santos Dumont airport in Brazil are among my favourites.

I will no doubt continue to enjoy such videos, and hope the professional pilots will keep on producing them. As for myself, of course, it will never happen, although I have enjoyed 2 one hour sessions in a full motion Boeing 737-200 simulator, succeeding, with the assistance of the instructor of course, to manage a number of take offs, circuits and landings at Aberdeen Dyce airport.

Keep up your enthusiasm, and it is heartening to see you receive some positive responses from professional pilots.