PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Pilot gets DFC
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2013, 10:05
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I was unaware that awards for N.C.Os were canned in1994.
Who one earth thought that one up. What a disgrace.
That's an interesting take on the decision to merge officers' and NCOs' gallantry awards which is generally attributed to John Major, the PM at the time, although whether it was his own idea or he was acting on advice I don't know.

Of course, as Chinny Crewman has pointed out, awards for NCOs (and indeed all other ranks) were not "canned". Instead of a receiving a medal (DSM, MM, DFM etc) they are now entitled to the equivalent cross (DSC, MC, DFC etc) which were formerly only awarded to officers and warrant officers. Personally I think it was bit of a shame as I rather liked the designs of the old medals, particularly the DFM and AFM, but I somehow doubt if Flight Sergeant Bloggs standing in front of HM to receive his AFC is wishing he was getting a medal instead of a cross.

I agree with Old Duffer - the RAF does seem very reticent in putting people forward for medals these days. It was not always thus, during WW2 the DFC was the most commonly awarded gallantry medal, with over 20,000 being awarded, far exceeding any other gallantry medal for all three services. Times change!

Last edited by Tankertrashnav; 26th Mar 2013 at 11:08.