PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedures and Checklist usage within GA
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2013, 08:34
Globalstream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tommie, I don`t think this is at all about ego. It`s a real problem that warrants proper discussion.

All, I think some have a misunderstanding of what exactly an "airline style" checklist is and how it is used. A properly developed checklist is concise but complete, easy to use and most importantly relavent, preferably tailored, to the operation. Hawker750 mentioned completing briefings prior to engine start are part of his SOPs. Perfect example

However, SOPs and checklists have to be developed, implemented, trained and checked and refined on an on going basis and that done, they invariably makes things safer, faster and more efficient.

Any checklist/SOP that results in rambling, incoherent briefings, confusion regarding timing and division of checks and interminable checking is poor. Separately, we have to differentiate between poor SOPs and poorly executed SOPs.

Poor checklists are hallmarked by poor formatting (often with errors or weak points), repetition and a stuccato flow. Combined with a lack of training and direction this results (in my observation) in stuttering, inconsistent and incomplete usage. Many crews I have worked with seemed not to have any clear idea of who should call items, when they should be called (if specific) or the proper response. Take just one example- spoilers.

In the simulator I set a fault that prevents the spoilers from arming. It will not result in a fault light/CAS message, but the arm indication fails to illuminate. The manufacturer`s checklist says "Spoilers- Armed". Often, the FP selects the lever to arm and calls armed without checking the corresponding light on the annunciator panel and so misses problem. The MP is head down speed reading the challenges, possibly responding himself and rushing because of the poor time planning on the part of the FP. He also misses the light...as they approach a short, contaminated runway.

Neither demonstrate understanding, or at least neither is demonstrating the need to set AND CHECK the result- a fundamental point of checklist usage and indeed, airmanship.

Regards reliance on manufacturer`s checklists. Understand first, in no way am I advocating using ad hoc, unapproved procedures and I have only worked with two brands in my biz jet career and so I can`t comment on Cessna, Hawker and so on. (Frank, Boeing checks and philosophies, Gulfstream`s too are not really representative of the smaller biz aircraft I am thinking of)

However I can think of one check list in particular that renders the manufacturer liable IMHO, should an accident result. I am not a lawyer, but I`m not sure I would bet my life or career on implementing manufacturer`s checklist without thought. Especially if I was in charge of a commercial operation.

Anyway, check lists and briefings and are but one aspect of professional SOPs and I stand by my assertion that only tailored, properly trained and checked SOPS can maximise safety and efficiency.

Last edited by Globalstream; 26th Mar 2013 at 08:40.