PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Flight 742 "flight control system" problems
Old 25th Mar 2013, 23:55
Ashling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bubbers, do the google search I suggested above, look at analysis by the chairman of the board that comes listed as 1 or 2. All the FDR graphs are at the end. Either every sensor was out or they hit at 750fpm. Sorry just the way it is, looks can be deceptive.

Not so sure about the Seattle Tractor mind you, rudder hard overs, fuel filters clogging snuffing out both engines, cargo doors flying off taking pax along for the ride, batteries burning, rad alts that force the engines to idle, spoilers that don't stow when you firewall the engines which ain't great for GPWS pull ups as you tend to hit the hill etc etc

I've flown both, and enjoyed flying both and am gratefull I've had the chance to do so. They're aircraft, they both have good and bad points, both can kill you if you get sloppy and haven't done your homework or are just plain unlucky.

Maybe he would have done better in a 737, maybe he would have done worse. We will never know. We can, however, surmise that had his speed control been the same its pretty likely he would have triggered a stall warning. As I recall there's no AOA gauge in the 737 so no way to know the margin therefore you have to honour the warning by pushing or at the very least holding the attitude. That might be tricky at 150' and 1200 - 1500 fpm rod. At least in the Bus (in normal law because he started the APU) he could pull with confidence that the aircraft would not stall. Just a thought.