PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Church Fenton to close this year
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2013, 21:03
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
First CCF RAF section camp memories

I spent my first CCF RAF section camp there in April 91 and remembered it fondly. Unfortunately we got kicked out for the day all us CCf (from schools in Edmonton and Shiplake college) due to funeral of a GR1 pilot who was locally raised up and got shot down during GW1. There was a four ship flyby as for the day we did an orientation exercise around the local area.

Another great time there was in the tower when an F3 crew did a few approaches and take off without actually landing and on the 5th or 6th go they went into full afterburner to impress us!

I did work experience in the Met Office and ended up having coffee with the crew of an Andover from Wildenrath or Gatow (?) that flew in and they were a great bunch of guys.
Also did my AEF flight with the Chippie while the luckiest cadet in our camp got selected for a Tucano flight!

At that time there was a mixture of the JP and the then newer Tucano based there

Also the ACLO who was SATCO there who was a Sqn Ldr formerly aircrew who was building his own kit built a/c in one of the sheds. Top bloke great sense of humour and he told us a heart rendering story that he was one of two or the only survivor of a VIp transport that flipped on its back at an Italian air base many years before.

Cheers

Last edited by chopper2004; 25th Mar 2013 at 21:11.