PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B - Automatic Infringment Generator?
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2013, 12:48
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
via le Pingouin;

Thousands of drones? What pray tell will they be doing? What makes you think they'll all be needing an ATC service? I already see a screen full of code 1200 blow flies buzzing around and rarely provide a direct service to any of them. Unless I can be guaranteed real time two way comms and following of controller instructions, i.e. behaving like a manned aircraft, they won't be getting a clearance in my airspace.
Well, that "screen full of code 1200" is a little inconvenient to the commercial drone operators.

What will they be doing...

A bill passed in by Congress this week paves the way for the use of surveillance drones in US skies. The FAA predicts that by 2020 there could be up to 30,000 drones in operation.

...The bill will exponentially speed up and streamline the process by which the FAA authorizes the use of drones by federal, state and local police and other government agencies.

...open up US skies to what will become a multi-million dollar business.

Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress - Washington Times

...and thus we see one of the push factors for ADS-B.

Aircraft owners will be paying the drone operators airspace set-up costs. And aircraft owners and pilots will be paying for the 'privilege' of flying in drone airspace.

I guess if yer in ATC its all upside...

Last edited by Flying Binghi; 25th Mar 2013 at 12:55.