PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2013, 08:48
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 156 Likes on 32 Posts
The next question is what will happen to surrounding components and structure from the high temperature?
So why not then surround the box with a similar material to the Space Shuttle protective tiles? HUGE thermal capacity and they weigh practically nothing but should prevent heat transfer to surrounding components.

I too cannot see what this test flight can possibly hope to achieve - unless they replicate a runaway event to ensure that venting takes place as per design. If they just fly it and say "look - it didn't burn" that's not going to get me anywhere near a 787 anytime soon.

This whole thing is being driven by PR. I bet 95% of the public probably have absolutely no idea of the events surrounding the grounding, the "fix" or the implications of a battery fire on board. The customer airlines are caught between a rock and and a hard place - they, in private, may be extremely unhappy with the "solution" but have to put on a public face of "business as usual" and we are fully confident in our product as they have already lost millions and the implications going forward are many times that.

If a 787 subsequently has a serious event after this fix is released.......

Last edited by A4; 25th Mar 2013 at 08:50.