PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2013, 08:40
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Franzl

I wonder myself, in the briefing was nothing new on the planet, mostly stuff what expierienced old school pilots learned about stalls amd falls from the beginning regardless whether it was civil or military. Was this knowledge completely lost and has to be invented again?
How long will it take to make the findings and results available to the line? And still i´m concerned, that it will again end up in some fixed procedure without transfering te knowledge which led to the developement of said procedure.
I agree that it was mostly well known facts, but although I count myself "a practitioner skilled in the art"(of aerodynamics) I still learned some new things about how stall testing is done these days. I don't think it is a question of knowledge being 'lost' - flight testing is a continuous process and what was being presented was more a statement of the accumulated wisdom of the two flight test departments. Seems to me that your concerns really relate to the transmission of this expertise to the guys who actually fly these machines every day.

That said, I'm not sure how much line pilots need to know about actual flight test stalling techniques but of course the descriptions of typical stall and post stall behaviour were and are relevant.

I'm shooting my mouth off here, because I have no experience whatsoever in this area, but to an outsider it seems that there is sometimes an important gap in the information trail from manufacturers' flight test expertise through their training departments to airline training departments to line pilots. Not just on stall behaviour; there are other examples where inherited wisdom was not passed on.

Pilots will no doubt be able to put me straight on that