PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saving the IMC. Did we do enough? Can we do more?
Old 25th Mar 2013, 08:38
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The step from PPL [in training time and costs] to full IR is just too big for the majority of recreational pilots.
Is that not the issue to address then? I don't hear US pilots clamouring for an IMC rating (though I believe that AOPA is considering a no-privileges version of the IMC rating training course as a ‘VFR into IMC’ course). The difference seems to be that while you can do your IMC rating at a local flying club, the IR requires school that is usually focused on commercial pilot training (£££), and a set of exams at Gatwick.

The CBM-IR proposed by FCL.008 goes some way towards addressing that, but not far enough. We need to keep the pressure up on EASA to make sure the requirements for training organisations (including those that train for the IR) are proportionate and suitable for schools that serve the needs of GA pilots, not just airline-pilot factories. While the IR might need more hours than the IMC rating, the key to its take-up is to make it as easy to go to a school and say "I want to do an IR" as it now is to go to a school and say "I want to do an IMC rating".