PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedures and Checklist usage within GA
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2013, 01:18
elvis82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for this thread.

That's why we are a professional pilots. When we fly the airplane for 3 to 60 mio $, it is just expected we know it well and we know well how to push buttons and in what order and why. That's why it is called -check-list. According the PANS OPS, the check list should include only safety related items which when omitted could cause a dangerous situation - gear, flaps, altimeters check, etc. For example if you forget to switch the landing light on the take off/landing or even switch on the engine syncrophraser after take off, nothing will happen (why you shoud forget do this, when you are doing it on every flight?). I flew both business jets and airliners. Altough I just love bizjets, the difference was obvious. I soon recognized, that doing Do list on take off or taxiing is not a good idea! It is also exhausting doing the Do list on the 4th or 5th leg! This AOC operation was approved by CAA, it is real supervision, isn't it?!

The procedures from the bizjet makers are just horrible. There are a lot of chief pilots in the bizjets environment who just do not understand the problematic of proper use of checklists! They do not even know what the PANS OPS is. Company can do its own normal checklist which should with connection on SOP be done in accordance the manufactures procedures. But you are not obliged to use Cessna Citation checklist, where it is written in the Take off checklist that you should pull up!!! And the CAA is not providing enough support on that. I have experience that when you do any SOP, they just accept it.

As I said, I love bizjets, but there is from many reasons poor safety environment. If I had money and wanted to fly as a pax I would really fly with NetJets or airlines in the first class.

You can still fly bizjets according the procedures that are widely used in airlines like for example NetJets Europe or some other companies. It is better then crossing hands in the cockpit while doing Do list. I saw it and this was just horrible.

These procedures are only part of problem of bizjets safety. There are other issues for another threads (training, pilots selection, supervision, skills and knowladge). I am not able to compare maintenance quality of bizjets and airliners.