PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shorts Belfast
Thread: Shorts Belfast
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2013, 17:05
Mike Gallafent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading this thread with interest as I flew Belfasts as co-pilot and captain from 1966 to 1972. From flying Twin-Pins in Borneo to Belfasts was a marked change. Seeing a Belfast under construction at Shorts while still on jacks, it appeared little different to a block of flats. After courses at Shorts & Rolls Royce one exercised patience to get 'hands-on' practice with early aircraft deliveries. In consequence, the flight deck was often crowded executing circuits & let-downs at Brize. Memories? Many. Only lost an engine once getting airborne out of Akrotiri . Dumped fuel to obtain max landing weight 215,00. Hit a flock of birds on night take-off from Butterworth. Found in excess of 50 dead on runway.Taking a chopper from Ottawa (cold weather trials) to Edwards AFB for the hot equivalent. To Hollywood to collect C-130 wing planks from the Lockheed plant. Routing westabout via Gander- and once via Keflavik or else the southern route via Lajes. Delivering 747 simulator to Heathrow (inches to spare). Ferrying cases of lemonade and baked beans plus fridges & motorbikes from Aden to Muharraq. By chance, all the 7 crew were small in stature. The aircraft A/C failed en route and we were soaked as we exited aircraft. A tall movements officer, crisp from air con met us at the aircraft steps to ask the whereabouts of Snow White. Belslow? Yes, particularly in the early days. Hot and heavy out of Muharraq to Gan, it took 45 mins to reach FL 90. (There was also an engine restriction). Double crew? One became accustomed to see on flight deck the relief crew in PJs cleaning teeth etc an hour out from next landing. Only had to reverse once - tight space at Thessaloniki. One remembered to keep feet off brakes!
Due to personal circumstances, I became OC Task Plans at Brize. It fell to me to see that it was possible from the flow charts to alter the dates of some events to enable all 10 Belfasts to be at Brize at the same time. I sold the idea to OC Ops and which led to the historic flight and photos of all 10 aircraft.
It was a very enjoyable aircraft to fly and you could make some sweet landings with it. Accidents? Somebody took the fence away in the undershoot and a malfunction of brakes caused all 16 tyres to blow - both at Brize.