PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of video camera on commercial flight
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2013, 15:02
washingtondave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, this thread has run it's course, and I have received a number of responses, none approving, mostly reasonable and one or two bordering on the abusive. So I will make this my last response on this matter.

Let me state firstly that I take safety very seriously. As a PPL holder, albeit currently not valid for flying, I know that aviation is based on rules, procedures, and compliance with instructions. My views on the flight safety briefing were from my own perspective, not a general one. I make myself fully aware of where the nearest exits are, and that apart there is really little else that is new to inform anyone. I still remain unconvinced that there would ever be a case, maybe with the exception of the brilliantly handled ditching of an A320 in the Hudson River,and of course operations such as North Sea helicopter flights, where life belts would ever be helpful in a commercial flight, but that's another issue. I think large commercial aircraft are a different scenario to the time when my father became a member of the Goldfish Club when he successfully ditched his Beaufighter in the North Sea in 1943.

To NZScion, thank you for your understanding of my situation. I am indeed not a troll, or someone looking for material to tell a story to the Daily Mail. If I had been maybe I would not have felt the need to make my initial post and know "this issue has been done to death many times"(Torque Tonight). Before posting, I did a search of Pprune, and had onlt 2 hits, one of which was "private flying videos", where I originally posted with apologies in the hope that a moderator would move it to an appropriate forum.

Di Vosh, I was indeed hoping for some positive news but I'm not going to delve into the psychological aspects of "confirmation bias".

Just for the record, the PED I would have liked to use, is a small sports video camera (as small as the palm of my hand which can be safely secured via a suction cup) which is used by a firm mounting in car, strapped to a bike or a helmet whilst skiing. Unlike a phone, or Ipad (which I now see are being used for EFBs), it does not transmit either a wi-fi, 3G/4G or bluetooth signal. The electronics of the camera are merely used to record video. I do accept that Cabin Crew cannot be expected to have the knowledge to differentiate between different devices, and therefore err on the side of caution with a blanket ban.

Whilst I can accept that some flightdeck videos "are NOT sanctioned" by the airline involved, the frequency of some of them by the same person suggests some of them were by pilots who have not been disciplined. To comply with moderation rules, I will not name names or airlines, but there is one person who has stated he has the sanction of his employer, and has many videos both from the the flightdeck and the cabin when, like ourselves, he/she was SLF.

Again for the record, I had no intention of posting anything on Youtube or Facebook, merely a desire to record some of the things I see and enjoy through the window, such as the sight of Paris from the port side travelling south, or manouvering around a towering CumuloNimbus on a flight from NCE-NCL, or the snow covered Jura and Alps whilst in the hold prior to a long downwind for runway 05 at Geneva.

Simple pleasures.