PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very rare 50 year old Photo. Sycamore XG518 desert rescue.
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 22:05
Cornish Jack

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
G'day Herod - ah, yes - wooden blades - works of art, always supplied as a matched set and total change if one damaged; balanced such that cyclic forces were minimal Can't vouch as I only had about 10 minutes 'famil' on the controls. Its big limitation was the power - the Lycoming was not suited to 'hot' OR 'high' and demonstrated this regularly in K'sar. Apart from the oddities such as the Hillman Husky hub cap idea, I seem to recall Tommy pointing at 44" of power and translational lift to lift a 5 gallon barrel out of Steamer Point inner harbour!! Blade tracking, IIRC, was enough to reduce the strongest to tears!!
You are to be congratulated on missing the 'joys' of the Sycamore. Among its many pecularities, its tricycle gear (and 3 blades) made it particularly prone to ground resonance I recall one of the Tern Hill QHIs telling me that, on his conversion course, he touched down in the middle of the airfield and held it a little too lightly as he settled - one moment, good - next sitting strapped into a seat surrounded by mega fresh air and only a limited remainder of centre console bits ... VERY rapid!!

Tablets?? Don't know what they are, but the nice lady nurse says that the pretty blue colour is to make them easy to find again when I've dropped them - shaky hands due, I reckon, to Nursey constantly displaying her talents ... that's what we used to call them in the good old days! More Horlicks, please!