PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So if not Robinson then what?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 21:33
FLY 7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not particularly 'anti-Robinson' - quite like the R44 RII and the R66 looks promising, I've met Frank, been to the Factory....But, I read many of the accident reports with unease, including Martin Rutty's.

We know the R22 was developed as a low cost helicopter, not specifically for training. And this basic design has evolved into the R44 and R66, all with the same teetering rotorhead.

Now, I've no doubt, flown correctly and following Robinson's safety course, it should be as safe as many other helicopters. However, for the moment, I prefer a fully articulated 3-blade rotorhead, and as many other safety features as possible.

For basic training I was recommended to the S.300 - but specifically the 'C' model. The new Cabri also looks attractive, but an expensive acquisition in the current market, and many buyers will want to see a longer service record before committing.

I also like the Enstroms, and the 480B is, IMO, the best entry level turbine with an excellent safety record and used prices not much above a newish R44. Then, of course you've got older B206s and H500s. After that prices and costs start to escalate.

Going back to Enstrom, I know they are a much smaller manufacturer, but they publish an annual Safety Update. The 2012 Report shows (Worldwide):

- 10 fatalities in accidents since 1997
- That's 0.66 fatalities per annum
- No fatal accidents since 2009
- 2 minor injury accidents in 2012