PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B - Automatic Infringment Generator?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 19:40
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
ADS-B - Automatic Infringment Generator?

I note that the ATSB has a memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with CASA that requires the ATSB to notify CASA with the details of any reported incident, confidential or not, together with identifying details, for enforcement action (ie:Punishment) by CASA.

I also note that Airservices has a similar MOU with CASA although I am not aware of its contents.

I believe ADS - B out provides for the exact identification of any aircraft using it, and ADS - B equiped aircraft fitted with an aviation quality GPS, broadcast postion, altitude and speed to Airservices receivers around the country continuously, In theory then, the location of every aircraft so equipped is known at all times, flying or not. Aviation anonymity disappears for all pilots.

What are the chances then that Airservices wil share this information with CASA continuously? It would not be hard to produce a computer application that automatically generates an infringement notice when controlled airspace, danger areas, etc were breached as well as low flying and a host of other allegedly illegal activities were observed. It would also be very easy to put a persons private aviation activities under surveillance for the purposes of a ramping or other action. Furthermore, I assume that the ADS -B logs will be kept forever, making retrospective enforcement action possible.

What are the chances that CASA will use this technology as an enforcement tool?

Yes I know. If you don't do anything wrong you have nothing to fear........

Last edited by Sunfish; 23rd Mar 2013 at 19:45.