PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very rare 50 year old Photo. Sycamore XG518 desert rescue.
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 19:06
Cornish Jack

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
I would think late-ish, datewise ... I only have 309 and 504 from the introduction of the Sycamore to K'sar. The scenery in the 'photo is very reminiscent of the area around Mukheiras - on the plateau (5-6000' asl) - you wouldn't expect anything like that amount of greenery around the coast. If it was there, the take-off could have been 'interesting' !! We did a search for an out-of-contact Regiment platoon and eventually found them in a wadi at about 3000' asl. I think the pilot was M.Plt 'Tommy' Tomczak (later Pavey) and having landed, he reckoned getting airborne needed a 'jump' takeoff. Wind up the power and revs to max pull to the hover and ... pray!! It worked but only by virtue of the light local breeze drifting us along the gently descending wadi. The dear old Sycamore was not noted as being over-powered - as evidenced by my first 'wet barrels' - got hooked on (after an absolute age!) and started to pull in the rope - which succeeded in pulling the helo' towards the welcoming sharks and mantas - the joys of ignorance!!

"Nurse, Nurse,! - two more of those tablet things, a brow soothing hand and a cup of Horlicks, if you please - the excitement is getting too much for me!"

Last edited by Cornish Jack; 23rd Mar 2013 at 19:10.