PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Cineflex Nosemount
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 17:11
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I understand that there is an offset forward mount, rather than a nose mount.
Hasn't been listed on EASA STC so far.

Some background info for reference, a larger gimbal can't replace the existing gimbal on the R44 news nose hard mount due to weight and balance.
R44 is very sensitive to nose payloads. It is a near thing but a V14 gimbal adapter plate would need to be located a few more inches rearward from the existing R44 news gimbal mount, but the pedals get in the way of such a mod.

If I recall, the new mount places the camera more rearward by positioning it on the side of the nose.

An obvious point that should not be overlooked on the R44 is balancing aircraft laterally.
One R44 crash crash involved pilot, cameraman and camera equipment all on one side, which was (possibly coincidentally or not) the side it rolled toward from a hover.

Numerous accidents have been caused by the requirement to fly so as to accommodate a cameraman shooting from a side door, so a new certified bracket that will encourage use of stabilised gimbals is fine by me

Some operators using the Tyler R44 gimbal side mount will only fly with pilot and camera op and no director to increase safety margins, so be cautious about making a business plan based on carrying a director or producer until you've fully explored the weight, balance and handling implications...

Mickjoebill

Last edited by mickjoebill; 23rd Mar 2013 at 17:33.