PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedures and Checklist usage within GA
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2013, 09:20
BizJetJock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It might take a bit longer, but you are more likely (if doing it properly) to have all the switches etc inthe right place. (correct place ;-))
Unfortunately this is just not true. Airlines, manufacturers and NASA have spent millions on research and found that "read and do" checklists have a higher incidence of mistakes, usually by skipping an item inadvertently, than a properly executed flow. I agree that hands flashing around the cockpit at high speed is a nightmare, but that is not a flow; that is someone being stupid.
The question should surely be "what are the essentials that need to be briefed?"
I agree entirely; unfortunately the whole problem is that it is usually not asked. A lot of the problems come from pilots not actually thinking through what is required and then doing a "standard" brief (if they do one at all when an instructor isn't watching) even when there are non standard items that need attention. The overkill response to this from some companies is the "brief everything" approach which is no better. And I won't even start on the people who brief something completely different from how they are actually going to fly it - normal or emergency.
Unfortunately a lot of the problem is laziness. Without a disciplinary threat from a large organisation hanging over hem, people don't bother to practice the flows and procedures to the point where they are proficient, skip over them in the interests of a perceived few seconds time saving. They then justify this by dismissing it as "Airline bull****".

All a very long winded way of saying I agree entirely with Globalstream.