PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A400M as a maritime aircraft ?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 22:23
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting but we are broke

I found this quite entertaining for a while but am now bored with it.

the point I wish to make is that anything is possible and has probably been done before.

Tuff decisons were made about not bringing MPA4 into service. basically UK was broke and we could not afford to run these things. Its not just the frames but the formation eating team to man (or woman) these things. What we referred to as All Lines of Development.

Do we have a properly staffed and funded requirement? No. So how could we do it on the cheep. or trade some of the requirements such as ASW so it was affordable. I am sure the powers that be have/are exploring the options. A400M, P8, Big or small twin turbo props. It would not suprise me if the Islander, a micro-lite or airship had not been considered.

For those who may remember as far back as 1982 (I am sure the 12 year old will!) Marshall fitted probes to C130 and even made a tanker with a centreline HDU on the ramp. This was done in rapid time. In parallel Woodford were fitting probes to Nimrod. Again is rapid time with a few compromises. (the hose ran along the floor). On some a/c we fitted a spooky rack rendering some of the acoustic operator stations out of use. Tony put this in the public domain in his Rise and Fall book. I think the same kit went on the C130 tanker in front of the Andover ferry tanks.

Snoopy had many features allowing dropsondes to be dropped through the floor. much the same as the sono buoy launchers on Nimrod.

All these wonderful things you chaps are debating are all achievable but probably not affordable. Its good fun to get the grey matter going though.

As for Airbus airliner based versions - dream on.

One thing is for certain - the 12 year old will have long since retired by the time we save up for a kite as capable as Nimrod

Is this thread still about A400M as a MPA?