PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So GA is becoming a career?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 15:10
avconnection

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many have tried to come back to GA from an airline but I am yet to see any of them work out
Bull****, the biggest issue is most are used to high standards of airlines but want the thrill, lifestyle and challenge of GA (without the added labour) and there are very few positions that offer that balance. This doesn't mean they don't work out, they just realise the rose tinted glasses of aviation have turned a stale grey.

Even in the best GA jobs, some airline guys struggle with the fact that it's still GA. Once the excitement of change subdues, they will either sit back and enjoy the flying, becoming completely detached from the typical BS of GA or they become so involved and caught up in it that they go back to what's easy and get into another airline.

Of the guys I've seen who go back to GA from airlines, 100% have this realisation and *60% have the maturity and life experience to realise you are going to find fault with every job and look for the positives in what they do. The other *40% will only find faults (not that they can be blamed, they are usually perfectionist and brilliant operators).

*Not actual percentages.

Typical top end GA requirements are in the order of 500 turbine cmd, 1000 ME cmd, 500night, 2500-3500TT and 5 renewals. This by no means is representative of all companies however it is a good ball park for companies like RFDS, Pel-Air, Pearl, Toll, GAM Do, Surveillance etc. Add 250-500 jet (desirable) as applicable.

Salaries range from $85-155k, depending on what you call "GA" and level. CP's can earn, in some cases, towards $200k.

Bear in mind there are probably less than 1000 top GA jobs in Aus.

Last edited by avconnection; 22nd Mar 2013 at 15:22.