PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raising funds
Thread: Raising funds
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2003, 13:30
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
Ok Andrew,
The bug's bitten you and you really want to fly.
I would take a long hard look at this forum and find out as much as you can about the industry before you spend a single penny.
Don't believe the various flying school's sales pitch about the up and coming retirement bubble, it isn't going to happen. Don't believe them when they say that there's a shortage of pilots. There isn't in the 200 hr category. (There is a shortage of licensed aircraft engineers- maintenance)
The cold hard truth is that by and large, most people who embark on this flying career either never make it or never really get a "good job" ie one that lets you buy a house and eat as well.
Learn as much about the job as you can. Try to get a clear understanding of the job so you won't be disappointed later on. Find out about long haul, short haul, regional, night freight, instructing. Whatever takes your fancy. Find out the most probably career path and what it will cost. Bear in mind that the expense unfortunately doesn't stop at the end of the CPL. At the moment, many are considering type ratings to help them get a shot at a job.

Part 2.
People recommend Clive Hughs's book about becoming a CPL. Also, I'd pick up the LASORs book from the CAA. It's cheap.
Now sketch out a plan and cost out each stage. If you can afford to go full time, great. Most of us can't, so map out the part time or modular route. (Less risk financially too). Then pop down to the CAA and do a class one medical. I think it still costs 400 quid.
No point in going any further if you can't pass that.

To sum up.
Research the industry
Plan and cost that out and add 50% to the time and at least 30% to the cost again!!!
Do a medical.

Good luck.