PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedures and Checklist usage within GA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 11:13
deefer dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience in the simulator shows that even a relatively straight forward failure (a single failure for which a checklist exists) can overload a disturbing number of crews when realistic elements are added and it clearly shows procedural weakness.

Some commentators, confirming what I've seen on the line and in the sim, said they brief the initials and express a contemptuous attitude to further briefing. I can assure you that failure of the the electrical system or another event that requires hand flying part of the procedure at an inopportune moment, often results in a good deal of humility because despite the cursory briefing, crucial information was omitted or not understood.
I'll play devil's advocate.

I understand the point you are trying to make here, but it seems that you are implying that all possible scenarios should be briefed prior to any departure, and this is neither practical or effective.

The question should surely be "what are the essentials that need to be briefed?" You highlight check list items, but surely the red line memory items should already be in the mind of a professional crew. Why therefore regurgitate these, and where do you stop? Is it necessary to go through the entire emergency or abnormal check list, and include this in your brief - I think not!

Obiouly both crew members need to be acquainted with the expected departure flight trajectory plus a small number of relevant "what ifs." In a mountainous region it would obviously be appropriate to discuss escape routes and MSA's, but in Holland for example this would be wasted breath. On a short wet runway it would be appropriate to pay more attention to the reject, and perhaps skip over this when departing from a long dry one.

The brief needs to be tailored to circumstances and kept short and sweet in line with the KISS principle. None of us know what will happen once we pass 80 kts., and all that should be done is to prepare for the scenarios that are likely to have the most adverse effect when considering the circumstances. Churning out check list actions for every possible eventuality won't help anyone - even if every checklist action was later called for!

Last edited by deefer dog; 22nd Mar 2013 at 11:14.