PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disabled pilots
Thread: Disabled pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 09:55
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Rhino, for passing on Martin Lloyd's story. I'm trying to get in touch with him, as he seems to be a Brit that has settled in California, whereas I moved from California to the UK. Right now with the weather we have been suffering, wondering if it was the sensible thing to do....

I've mentioned one chap who used to be one of our professional instructors in a previous post. His disability resulted from a moment of madness in a hang glider. One of our solo pilots had trouble with a parachute. (I did one parachute descent at Shobdon, but it seemed like too much kerfluffle for only 2 minutes in the air.) One of our tug pilots acquired a new leg as a result of a motorcycle accident, the other guys fault.

We have a couple of solo pilots who need two sticks to walk to the glider, but once strapped in are capable of flying the latest high performance single seater, and pass their yearly checks with honours every time.

So we don't have any pilots who suffered disability as a result of service in Afganistan, but we would surely welcome them. Of course, once they solo they will have to buy beers all round, like any other club member....

So add a couple more of your stories, and I will forward this thread to the folks at the rehab centre.

Mary