PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BE1900 IMC CFIT in Alaska
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2013, 23:56
Zeffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, the inner TAA area is 4 n.m. in the straight-in TAA area (the north side). - so if I have this right, on these 'new' RNAV charts, the min hold alt will always be the lowest of the TAA values? NB I have never flown one of these procedures, so, if I am approaching ZEDAG on the 103 for an RNAV19, I assume I maintain 6300 until 4nm when I can start descent to 1900 and begin the turn onto final? If I want to join the hold from that inbound, what then - the same but this time to 4300'? Is that the way it works?
Not quite.

First one has to remain mindful that only aircraft on the South side of ZEDAG will fly the Hold In-Lieu of Procedure Turn (HILPT).

Aircraft arriving on the NoPt side do not utilize the pattern -- the TAA has already provided consideration to descent gradient as well as course alignment.
6300' minimum within 30 nm, then 4300 from 4nm to the IF (ZEDAG).

The minimum holding altitude at ZEDAG is 4300, indicated by the underscore.

The 4300' value is only a chance coincidence with the inner NoPT TAA sector on the North side.

The obstacle clearance assessment template for the HILPT is vastly different from the the TAA obstacle evaluation criteria.