PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How high have you been?
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2003, 10:45
Ghostflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standby for blah,

Can't do the ultra-high stuff only been at 55k in an Eagle and 50k and 2+ in an F-3. Got a bolly from the QFI for not knowing the limits (The BAe brochure said 2.2 even if the RAF's book said 2)

On the other hand, remember intercepting a Bear, VIDing it and then getting to about 35,000 feet in an F-3 before falling earthwards as the atmosphere overcame the non-existent ram effect. Great at low-level (or high and fast) but sucks in between. Felt a tad embarrased that my shiny wonder jet was being out climbed by a turbo-prop. He was doing about 150kts.

Highest I know of an F-3 from the HUD film was a certain flight commander who achieved 67,000' upside down and pulling but still going up. Tried to hide it but sadly the windscreen had delaminated. Still we all bought him a beer and thought it was cool!

Had a yank mate who was a neighbour of mine that you could get blood out of after a few beers. He told me about being at '70 and 3' when one of the donks failed and set course 230 for a base in Germany. As the 71 mates do, he then refused to confirm his location 'sir!' and then refused to confirm that he had just said anything. Nearly disappeared in a puff of illogic!

As for the U2 does anyone really want to sit in a nappy for 12 hours even if you are at 90 million feet?

Enough Bull****, back to the rugby!

Ghost