PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2013, 22:47
Danny42C

Geriaviator,

Another winner, chota sahib ! The pics of your quarter look nice - could that possibly be a TV set right over on the left ? (in Aden ? - in '52 ? - that size screen ?) We had our first TV in '55, and I think it was only a 12-in.

We tried to 3-point our Spits, but it didn't always come off. They were really just like big Tiger Moths to land. And none were ever "horrible old beasts" - I'll always remember them as the nicest things I ever flew. Familiarity never bred contempt !

As for the Green Goddesses, I would think they were heavily overloaded versions on the same chassis as I had on my 900 (?) gallon bowser in India. Empty, I reckoned it my best vehicle: the Bedford/GMC straight six was streets better than the Ford V-8. Full, I would suppose it would be a pig to drive, too.

I fear poor Tiddles may have lost rather more than the appendage in question, and thereafter probably sang soprano in the Cats' Choir.

I'm afraid the clerk who cut the Roneo stencil for that Addendum to SROs chose the words all too deliberately, with a view to arousing unseemly mirth among the brutal and licentious soldiery ! Anyway, it gave your Sahib and Memsahib a good chuckle over their sundowners.

Regards from the Burra-Sahib,

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 21st Mar 2013 at 22:49.