PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2013, 15:08
Lonewolf_50

Received 428 Likes on 270 Posts
Probably. "Support to the Warfighter" may have been coined to convince Congress that the money was being spent on operations rather than another golf course at a given Air Force Base.

Linked, I'll guess, to the never ending arguments over the "tooth to tail" ratio of forces and resources.

EDIT: I did some poking around, and found someone who first began hearing that term in the days of Cheney as Sec Def (Bush 41) and a few of his minions, like Wolfowitz. Not sure how accurate that is, and I seem to recall more "warrior" jargon from the Army in the 90's than "warfighter" until OEF, when "warfighter" sprang up all over the place.

Anecdotal, so of limited value in tracking down the culprits. It was someone on our side of the pond, just not sure who.

We in the Navy were all full of "... From the Sea" and "Forward, From the Sea" as our sales pitch to Congress in the roles and missions debates of the same era.

Oddly enough, THAT is the era which gave rise to the JSF requirements ... and here we are, still talking about JSF. Circle closed, eh?

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 21st Mar 2013 at 15:28.