PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines and morale
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2003, 07:48
seymore butts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at some of these coments, l feel I have to add my two peneth.

It is most definitely not the case that long haul pilots are less worked than short haul having been on sh for 6 years and now on lh I am in a position to judge.

We have flight time limitations, sure but these are limitations and should not be used as a model for rostering.

Within these limitations is time specified for positioning away from base, however if the airline cannot make this work then all they appear to have to do is contact the good ol CAA and get a get out clause AKA Florida 2 variation, this gives a load of extra time for a two crew operation from LHR psn LGW - MIA for instance. 24 hours late we do the return sctor. Two days off and we can start all over again.

Most of our passengers are exhausted after this type of trip, this after sitting watching an in-flight movie and being waited on hand and foot. No thought about levels, fuel wx etc.

Most pilots can now no longer afford property around major airports so; generally have to either commute via another flight or a good few hours on M25 etc. This of course is not considered on the "limitations" nor is it considered a safety issue after a 14-hour day to drive home for 4 hours through the rush hour.

Once arrived at the airport parking the car is yet another issue that takes a good 30 minutes from your day.

We could all leave as you say. This would have lots of implications two of which are "we are pilots" what else do we do? Retrain after spending lots of effort and money in getting to this position.
Managers can generally manage but pilots fly aircraft full stop.
Secondly we are supposed to be professional and if there is a safety issue then we should address it and not turn s blind eye as you suggest.