PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Zero - AgustaWestland Revolutionary demonstrator revealed :)
Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:38
keesje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been flying since two yrs and a light diesel engine is considered to feed the batteries.

I find it remarkable how AugustaWestland and everyone involved managed to keep this under cover for so long. Just like Eurocopter with their X2. Very uneuropean. I guess the main field of application will be militairy?

The formal unveiling at the AgustaWestland press conference on the eve of Heli-Expo comes several weeks after the concept was revealed in a patent application published on 31 January.

The patent filing shows a V-tailed vehicle identified as the "Convertiplane", with a top speed in forward flight of 270kt (500km/h) and a normal cruising altitude of 24,600ft (7,500m). The patent was assigned to James Wang, the vice-president of research and development.

Such an aircraft would boast twice the cruising speed, range, ceiling and endurance compared with a conventional helicopter, AgustaWestland claimed in the patent application.
Heli Expo 2013

----

more info today!

The original photo above struck me as caught redhanded anyway, because of the distance, guys running around it, hardly a pose

Meanwhile the PR department put together a release.

“Project Zero” All-Electric Tilt Rotor Technology Demonstrator International Collaboration | AgustaWestland

Last edited by keesje; 21st Mar 2013 at 11:40.