PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawaiian Airlines - the good, the bad and the ugly..
Old 21st Mar 2013, 07:19
TropicalD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's a few months later here, but if you are waiting to hear (or waiting to re-interview), here's what I know.

Commuting can work, unless you get assigned to the interisland flying. You can still commute then, but you'll be home a lot less, since it's hard to commute with the 717's schedules. Out of LAX it's a piece of cake, as there are at least three flights a day to HNL, plus some seasonal flights to OGG. I commute too (not from LAX), and have never had a problem on our own aircraft.

There's very good morale between the employees & management. Of course there's always the 2% that complain continuously, but overall it's pretty good.

I've never seen any FO get paranoid about probation. You have to really mess up bad to face termination. Really, they're not 'out to get you'. You have to prove you're a screw-up in order to attract management's attention.

Training department is good, but overwhelmed at the moment with all the growth. We use our own pilots to teach ground school & sim, as well as being check airmen, so they know and understand what they're doing.

Hopefully, and truthfully, I hope HA stays by themselves over the next several decades. That's not to say they might not be swallowed up by AA or DL, but if they were, whatever it is that makes HA profitable and a good place to work would be erased, and thereby erasing any reason for them to be bought. HA seems to be making the right decisions on growth and profitability, but they aren't doing anything another airline could do on their own, without having to buy HA. Our CEO seems to be a large part of that good decision making, so I hope he stays around for a while.