PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2013, 02:39
riff_raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They (EC) reckon that they have fixed the problem with the EmLub system.

But it's still bit of a red herring. The EmLub is designed to work when there has been a total loss of oil (ie the case cracks). It's not going to help much when a) the gearbox is still full of oil and b) the main shaft has sheared in half and is thrashing around inside the casing, ie the situation with both REDW and CHCN.
Bravo73- Your point is mostly valid. The changes to the emergency lube system do not address the bevel shaft fracture issue. However, due to the location of the weld joint and the bevel gear shaft's bearing configuration (ie. two cylindrical roller bearings and one 4-point ball bearing) it is also unlikely that any shaft "flailing" would occur from a weld joint fracture. The driven end of the bevel gear shaft would be sufficiently constrained by a single cylindrical roller bearing and the 4-point ball bearing to prevent flailing. But it would not be sufficiently constrained to prevent gross misalignment of the bevel gear/pinion mesh, which would quickly result in catastrophic structural failure of the bevel gear teeth.

There is also the fundamental issue of what caused the fracture failures in the bevel shaft weld joint. Was it a design issue? Was it a material issue? Or was it a manufacturing process control issue?

While I have not seen detailed engineering documentation of the bevel shaft components or weldment, I have seen a cross section drawing of what appeared to be the EC225 MGB. The first thing I noted was that the bevel shaft EB weld joint appeared to be a simple butt joint. In this instance, a simple butt joint shaft weld would not have any fault tolerance in the event of a weld joint fracture. I would suggest that a more fault tolerant weld joint design would be a butt weld backed-up by a lap joint. Thus, even in the event of a complete fracture in the butt weld joint, the back-up lap joint would maintain alignment of the two halves of the shaft, and would allow the bevel gear mesh to continue functioning in some capacity.