PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2013, 21:28
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcjeant
Error of judgment ?
Poor risk assessment ?
It's hindsight being 20/20. It's quite ignorant pointing to precursor incidents as proof that the big one could have been predicted and prevented. It is not as if Thales probes getting blocked was the only problem on 330/340 fleet. In real life hundreds of incidents happen every day, just a few developing into emergency and very, very small fraction of them leading to disaster. Out of thirty-something UAS in 330, only one involved damage and injuries.

Originally Posted by vapilot2004
I also strongly feel their aircraft or training , most likely both, let them and their passengers down in what turned out to be the worst way possible
What are you basing your feeling on?

I strongly feel the BEA should have explored this aspect of the accident further.
In what manner?

The published DFDR traces are entirely too coarse at roughly 30 seconds per ½ to ¾ of an inch.
So? Do you believe higher resolution would yield completely different picture?

the raw CG trim fuel data might be interesting to know.
Why? It is perfectly clear aeroplane responded to control inputs, too aft CG would accelerate demise by a second or fraction thereof but it would be pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

An additional set of engine parameters beyond N1 might be useful.
What for? Engines work as advertised. What difference would oil quantity or ITT margin make on stall event?

The AOA and airspeed plots are a mess as are the control input traces, the former group mostly due to the erroneous data but all three groups further muddled by the coarse scale that was chosen.
Actually reading the report would help to dispose of this nonsense. There are three different timescales included in the report.

Originally Posted by CONFiture
Law is not necessarily to protect the little guy.
Since this is not law but aeronautical forum, I'll concentrate on flying aspects: little pilot guy is best protected when he knows and understands his aeroplane and medium he is traveling through. Failure to do so more often causes his demise than anything else.

Originally Posted by CONFiture
What happened on my flight deck has to go to the investigative body and the manufacturer which makes sense, but what could justify full data is not going to me as well or the one on my short list ?
If we take for granted that you or anyone on your short list can indeed do more for aviation safety than officially appointed expert teams, well then there really would be no reason.