PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tires and tubes for Cessna 172
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2013, 14:30
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, interesting times indeed. I remember working in Aussie a few years back and hearing from LAME's that were concerned about the way it was all headed then.

I had been working all about the world when NZ made the changeover 10 to 15 years ago.
I was hot to trot on the Aussie regs at the time as well as those from many of the older British colonies.
I had also been operating an FAA A&P a bit a few years earlier.

Anyway I wondered what I had struck when I first encountered the modified NZ system.
The intent was pretty well unchanged but of course the structure was far more like the FAA system. The beauty of it all is that it is easy to navigate around and it works a treat.

One of the Aussies did say that CASA had been offered the complete workable NZ system on a plate.
I believe he had been involved on an industry working committee and was all for the deal.

Somehow, someone knew better.

I am deadly concerned for the future of GA, as we know it, in both countries.
I am an owner, with several machines, as well as trying to derive a living from the industry.
At the moment all I am seeing is doom and gloom.

This is not helping the Cessna tyre discussion but the present rules are quite workable. Despite the 'excessive paperwork' comment earlier it is really just a simple job with the only paperwork being the log sign off and just a few logistic entries.

Physically most LAME's would be doing a bearing and hub assessment at the tyre change. Most hangars I have worked in would be doing a bearing regrease while the hub was apart.